OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 09 May 2024, 02:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 16:57 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Yasaka Phantom 007 okay I think I'll give it a whirl then :)

MNNB suggested 2mm Phoenix and I see it as ok away from the table I think its great close to the table. I've learnt the 2mm drop shot (eventually - small chop block drop shot bang on the bounce) and its good for a short 'small chop' close to the table.

Mid-distance it sure gets the ball back but long chops to the back hand are more difficult, i.e. getting the ball to travel distance.

The surprise is that you can hit with it, bottom out the sponge and catapult against the balsa.

Overall I like 2mm, it is sensative particularly to backspin though.

Are you playing OX Phantom 007 MNNB? Oh and what blade are you using it on?

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 19:26 
Super User

Phantom 007 is produced only as an OX; whereas Phantom 008 and Phantom 009 are produced with sponge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 01:05 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Mathias wrote:
Are you playing OX Phantom 007 MNNB? Oh and what blade are you using it on?

I tried a variety of blades, but the one that seems the best is the Butterfly VSG1000. Not that I've discovered anything new. This is a known combination that is already used successfully by several players. I have Tenergy on the other side. It's a lethal setup for attacking pushes (and forcing opponents into pushing or making errors). One of the interesting aspects of the 007 is (on the VSG100, at least) it produces surprisingly heavy spin reversal, especially after you've used it for a while, yet still remains grippy for attacking. I guess a dead-on block only touches the smooth tops of the pips, while a brush stroke brings the sides of the pips into play. Anyway, it seems less special on Violin, Accoustic, and FW+ among others, but there's something about that five-ply, all-wood Butterfly blade that just works for me....so far.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 01:47 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Its not a blade I'm likely to buy having just shelved rather a lot on balsa.

I've gone off the attacking style, but I think any pip on balsa is probably lethal to attack with.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 01:57 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Any more details on Phantom 008? What does the sponge feel like?

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 02:56 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Joo Se Kev wrote:
Any more details on Phantom 008? What does the sponge feel like?

I have the 008 on a very slow chopping blade (TTMaster Evolutive Defense). It doesn't have a lot of spring in it, great feeling, allows you to work the ball. I can easily manipulate the amount of spin on chops, as opposed to the Phoenix which doesn't give good feel but is very reliable. It blocks well at the table. Only available in 1mm. A defensive sponge all the way. The 009 is the offensive variant.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 05:48 

I found that the Phantom 007 was a decent close to the table blocking rubber, nice and slow, but was hard to attack with. If your style is to push and prod with the pimple and wait for the ball to pop up, then attack with a reverse side then it's a good option.

The Curl P1-R is much better away from the table than near to it, although chop blocks are quite effective. You can also attack with the P1-R but it's tricky because the ball does not 'sit down' at the end of the shot. So you are kind of restricted to attacking long chopped balls and need to be fairly accurate.

I guess the both have their advantages, but for me neither was the complete package.

More Classic than Modern Defender

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 06:06 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Konkrete wrote:
I found that the Phantom 007 was a decent close to the table blocking rubber, nice and slow, but was hard to attack with. If your style is to push and prod with the pimple and wait for the ball to pop up, then attack with a reverse side then it's a good option.

I use it on an OFF+ blade. I can attack just fine.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 06:51 
Super User

Most of the long pimple rubbers allow you to attack if they are arranged on an offensive blade. Better results are always achieved with an offensive blade due to the fact that most of the points are won with the forehand shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 06:55 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

GR wrote:
Most of the long pimple rubbers allow you to attack if they are arranged on an offensive blade. Better results are always achieved with an offensive blade due to the fact that most of the points are won with the forehand shots.

The key is matching the fast blade up with a rubber slow enough to keep the ball on the table after receiving a hard shot. That is where Phantom007 shines.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 20:28 
HE-LP on land or sea

Now, because I am new to my journey with LPs, have decided to put 008 on my backhand. Its only about 1600 yen(about 19 bucks), so I have figured to give it a shot versus joola shark (40 bucks) to try out with my new modern defender setup. So I say, BALL SHAKES LIKE PHANTOM! Also tried 999 defense instead of my japan judo.

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 20:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I tried someone's 007 on a old OFF BTY blade, didn't like it much, felt fast and hard to control... could be the combination, but that's all he had it on...gave me a poor impression of the rubber :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 21:00 
HE-LP on land or sea

I'll report more when I can get a hit in.

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 23:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

rmaxwellusn wrote:
Now, because I am new to my journey with LPs, have decided to put 008 on my backhand. Its only about 1600 yen(about 19 bucks), so I have figured to give it a shot versus joola shark (40 bucks) to try out with my new modern defender setup. So I say, BALL SHAKES LIKE PHANTOM! Also tried 999 defense instead of my japan judo.

Phantom is one of the best bargains going. Joola Shark is awful. Fast with not much control.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 23:49 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

haggisv wrote:
I tried someone's 007 on a old OFF BTY blade, didn't like it much, felt fast and hard to control... could be the combination, but that's all he had it on...gave me a poor impression of the rubber :(

Phantom seems extremely blade dependent. Not so good on a lot of traditionally good pip blades. A strange animal. 007 likes the 5-ply VSG1000 (Anybody know what type of wood the plies are?). 007's brother the 0012 likes the soft Tibhar CO-S-2.

| My OOAK Interview

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!