OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 May 2024, 16:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2022, 12:08 

I am posting this in Short Pips section because thet is what ITTF LARC says and it definitely looks like short pips and not medium pips or long pips.

I saw a review of Meteor 845 in some other section calling it a long pips rubber. Below is the link
https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21204&hilit=meteor+845

I don't use short pips. But this made me curious because it was in blue
I thought I will try it on my forehand just for fun. I use Long pips on backhand
I ordered a sheet on Ali Express . Prettiy cheap & less than $15 including shipping & tax.
Comes with 2 mm hard orange sponge

I have not played with it yet . But when I opened the pack, it did not look bright blue as shown in Ali Express.
The top sheet is dark blue & I am attaching a picture so Igor can go crazy.

Because I think this is a fantastic rubber for any pips combo player using black long pips on backhand.

From a distance the rubber may look almost black & can drive loopers insane if you twiddle.

Therefore I highly recommend this rubber for combination bat players.
Hurry up & buy before ITTF catches on :D 8)

Also look at the pips alignment orientation in actual item vs Ali Express picture

Unless you all think I got screwed and they shipped a different batch of 845.
Though I don't really much care as I bought this rubber just for color fun

Ignore shadow at the top for actual rubber picture. It is a camera issue not with rubber.

Attachment:
845  actual.jpg
845 actual.jpg [ 215.63 KiB | Viewed 2339 times ]

Attachment:
845 ali exp.jpg
845 ali exp.jpg [ 36.82 KiB | Viewed 2339 times ]

Last edited by rbm77 on 24 Aug 2022, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2022, 21:06 

Blade: SDC Custom
FH: Butterfly Dignics 64
BH: Sword Longcan
I ordered a sheet from Ali Express and it is the same colour as the one you have.

I doubt I will use it, as in addition to being a suspect colour, it is extremely hard and heavy for a SP (63g for a 168x164 uncut sheet)

PostPosted: 03 May 2024, 03:53 
Super User

So I play Penhold. Single wing.

For many years I've dabbled into the Long Pips on the RPB side for the occasional Chop and/or twiddle (don't do that as much anymore)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1krjd ... lUieAvxN3w

One thing that I always was slightly put off with LP chopping, at least for me, is that what you return is largely dependent on what your opponent gives you. You can't vary the spin much.

So I was curious to dabble into short pips for the occasional chop with the hopes to be able to return low spin chops to heavy backspin chops.

Anyways, because this is an experiment, I tried Meteor 845 from Ali Express where they're selling it for 5 some bucks I believe.

Need more hit sessions on it but so far I really like it. Best I can say is if you've ever hit with 802, you'd be just fine with this.

I got it in 2.0 sponge which is thicker than I wanted for a chopping short pip but to my surprise it chops really nice. I also tested it out on my forehand side to see how it counter-hits and I liked it there to. Controllable & flat as you'd expect.

All in all for what they're charging for this you should pick it up if you're looking for something similar to 802 and/or just like the color ;)

My blue wasn't as dark as the others here. I'll attach pictures in good/normal lighting.

Not sure how to yet (i'll change it if i figure it out) attach pictures but here's a link to my google photo album with pictures of it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mNxSkopX4wmod4ge9

PostPosted: 03 May 2024, 04:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It is manufacturer's responsibility to keep up the chromatical standards as described in ITTF M4 document.
Perhaps you have got some faulty product taken from a trial batch.

PostPosted: 03 May 2024, 05:23 
Super User

igorponger wrote:
It is manufacturer's responsibility to keep up the chromatical standards as described in ITTF M4 document.
Perhaps you have got some faulty product taken from a trial batch.

Well I think the product I got is exactly what's pictured on ali express's site and what this guy shows here in his YT video of it looks just like what I got. So if anything, I think this might be the norm. At least now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7O8eV7YSuc

Anyways, I was just posting my experience in contrast to the post & picture quite a while ago (2022) where the person said the color on theirs was dark.

PostPosted: 16 May 2024, 00:14 
Super User

Here's my review on it.

Okay I've had about a 1/2 month's worth of table tennis with this rubber against varying players. Yesterday I played a good player and that was the final piece I was waiting for. Previously I had played against more hitting/smashing style of players. This player was more of high quality spin based player.

I'm happy to report the rubber plays the same in either case and performed well. All that being said, i'm starting to form some opinions of this where it really excels.

So about me. I play a single wing, traditional penhold with inverted. Not using the backside, I've tried long pips in the past for the occasional RPB chop but never liked that I can't manipulate the spin much with it. Long Pips largely just reverses the amount of spin they give. You can't vary the spin much. Hence trying short pips. Additionally, I did a long time ago used to play short pips on my forehand. So I am familiar with how they feel when hitting. More on that later in the post.

So what is this rubber?

This is as true of a classic (meaning less spiny) short pip if there ever was one. I have it in 2.0 (that's the thinnest they offer. They also have a 2.1) on what I'd call a medium hardness sponge and while I feared that'd be too fast, I don't think it is. The relatively low spin pips makes this an easy chopping rubber. Topspin, backspin? You name it. easy to chop with away from the table.

My favorite thing about this rubber is how it chops. You can also vary the spin. If you do a light or normal chop motion vs incoming topspin, It'll be backspin but not all that heavy. I found my high quality training partner yesterday saying "oh this is light on the backspin" as they were sending their loops long. Right after they said that, on my next chop I intentionally put more into it and it did was I was hoping producing heavier backspin and they put it in the net. This is a concept IMO you can't execute as well with long pips. Overall, very good with chopping.

Counter-hitting. Whew this one is a work in progress and I'm pretty sure is a me thing. So I tried close to the table RPB blocking. Just to see how it feels. It wasn't pretty. Struggled to get the feel correct sometimes blocking it in the net or sending it long. Having said all that, keep in mind this is why I normally block incoming topspin with my TBH inverted and why I don't play just inverted both sides using RPB full time on the backhand (ie - the more modern style of penhold). I think this is a me thing because when I twiddled and tried counter-hitting on the forehand side with the pips, it played just fine. It's low spin (ie - classic) for a short pips but it's good there. So I know you can play this hitting style close to the table as you'd expect from a short pips.

One last thing I did like and found easy that gave my opponent problems. Say you're close to the table, you just gave a heavy underspin serve they push back to you. With the RPB pips side and open face (just enough to clear the net) bump forward (this is actually a technique many long pip players will do when they get backspin coming to them. That's the close to the table long pip player's chance to attack. They just don't have to open the face nearly as much. It's more flat when they do it) gives this very strange, low throw/skidding aggressive shot to the opponent that's hard to handle. It feels very easy to execute with these pips and I like it. Is it backspin? I am hitting under the ball and the pips do grab a little but I'm not brushing under. Is it topspin? I doubt it. It doesn't reverse spin like a long pips would. I think it's somewhere in the middle and yet is easy, easy to execute and get on the table all while giving the opponent this uncomfortable ball to handle if they're looking to loop next.

The TLDR:
This is a good classic pip that you can chop all day & night with. It can be used to hit with as well. Key word being hit. It's a classic, low spin short pip. Plays similar to 802. Maybe just a hair (and I mean a hair less spin). Would that be similar to a TSP Spectol which has smaller pips? IDK. maybe. Worth a shot for the price.