OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 07 May 2024, 03:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 16:32 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I know it's the beginning of a new year, and I just want to ask who will be participating in a competition this year??

As for me I am not too sure but it looks like I will me playing in only 1 competition in Sydney area, but I will dropping a grade.
Not sure if I can, because my team has separated and I am not so comfortable with others in my division.

Also been getting offers to play in the western suburbs comp, but still not sure as well.

So how about the rest of everyone here??

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 16:54 
Mars Attacks!

Mark me down MM,

we started our first round of the summer season (Dandy in Melb) last Monday, it will go for 10 rounds & then finals.

Our team was lucky enough to avoid finishing last in the previous season so we did not get relegated, so we get another crack at the top grade.
We were still not sure this would be the case until the first round when we read the team sheets as the summer season can sometimes attracts 1 or 2 totally new teams in some grades and this throws up surprises as the club tries to accommodate the new teams.

At this local level we generally play 4 seasons ( 10 round/week + finals) a year with only a break of approx 1 month over the Xmas break.
I have been doing this for a couple of years now.

The main Melb Metro (MSAC) comp has 2 or 3 seasons a year I think.

Good luck resolving where and who you are going to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 17:03 

already in the peak of tournament activity. if leagues count, 2 matches i've already played, another next week. played a school's tournament (won it again woo) - the finals are in july. competed in national junior league with another next month, and another the month after. a few regional tournamnets to play and the county cup, interleague etc. the majority will be done by march so i can take a break .. which i'm really looking forward to :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 18:05 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I was asked to join a team in the W.S competition but pretty much all of them are playing or was playing in the A grade. But they decided too put in a team that imo are all better than that and should play A.

SO they all dropped down to B grade.

I am thinking seconds thoughts... I played this grade before and we did really well.

Morally it's wrong to play a level that you know you shouldn't but if it's easy wins and the prize is a trophy and some cash... then hmmmm???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 18:27 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

Im still finishing off the Leauge season from last year, i have about 4 games left to play. Big tourney on the 15th of Feb. IM also particpating in the Jr's leauge which i will be in the TOP DIVISION :lol: (had to mention it). Plus i got the Adult League but that will be after the summer once again. However in the summer i am going to the Butterfly Table tennis camp, Cookie and Denton. :wink: I will most likely have more, but these are secured dates :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 19:37 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Im starting on 3.feb A3 :twisted: in Coburg as Im new and wasnt any room in A2 even that I won against several players from A2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 19:44 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

@purger - is there such a big difference in level from the 1, 2, 3?
In sydney I think its more general than exact, so its common to at least a member or 2 from the opposition to be really good or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 20:02 
Super Looper
Super Looper

metal monkey wrote:
In sydney I think its more general than exact, so its common to at least a member or 2 from the opposition to be really good or not.

Its huge difference from A1 and A2
From A2 and A3 is difference with players from top to mid of A2.Botom 6 in A2 can easy be in A3 but only one player winer of A3 progresses to higher grade A2 same for A2 goes to A1 and last one fals in lower grade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 23:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Well as you know from my report I've started back in comp again this season (same comp different night as Mars) and have gone up a grade on my comeback, which may be a good or a bad thing. Remains to be seen.
Would love to play another Vets tourney this year, although wouldn't waste my money entering the O40's as I got totally trashed without a hope last year. I'd enter div 4 and 3 events instead. The div 3 events are like just a step up on div 4, whereas O40's the first guy you meet can be A1 at MSAC (as was the case last year - he might have been A2). The other player in our round robin was from Purger's new Coburg club. A guy called Eddie Leung. Not sure what his grade was but I'm thinking minimum A2.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 06:02 
Super User

Well now that I have completed my move to California, I'm finally able to play in an actual club regularly. My first night was last night. So, while I am not playing in formal competitions or tournaments yet (they don't have a league in this relatively small club) this is the closest thing to competition I have EVER encountered in my table tennis career -- short though it has been so far. So I am sort of competing, just not in a tournament yet.

However, if I am able to get some coaching and get some consistent play under my belt perhaps later this year I will consider entering a tournament or two in the bay area.

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 06:21 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Good on you Glueless, its always exciting moving places and meeting new people.

Any chance You live by near tat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 09:59 
Chinese Forum Spy

I'll be tournament active this year. NSW Closed is in a few weeks.

metal monkey wrote:
Morally it's wrong to play a level that you know you shouldn't but if it's easy wins and the prize is a trophy and some cash... then hmmmm???

Morality acts as lead weight to the great (or the cunning for that matter) :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 11:25 
Mars Attacks!

purger wrote:
metal monkey wrote:

Its huge difference from A1 and A2
From A2 and A3 is difference with players from top to mid of A2.Botom 6 in A2 can easy be in A3 but only one player winer of A3 progresses to higher grade A2 same for A2 goes to A1 and last one fals in lower grade.

Purger & MM

It the same here on the other side of Melb @ Dandy, there is a very big step down in skill and intensity b/w A1 & A2. The skill levels then drop very unformally between the other grades.

From my observations the top grade is pretty much by invitation only, for example the winning A2 team is rarely promoted up to A1 however the committee will recognise and approach any individual player who is of an improving or higher standard ( especially juniors) and invite him to join an existing team or fill a vacancy in the top grade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 12:04 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I was thinking how the team formats are played?

Here we have teams me maximum 5 people.
Only 3 people can play singles, so basically 3 on 3 equal nine single games and we play 2 doubles, so a total of 11 games or rubber.
Best of 5 sets up to 11 points.
We play home and away matches so home team supply the balls and a member of there team will umpire the first match. Second match then a member of ours umpires.

All results are recorded and handed in or sent to the organisor.

How about everyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 12:21 
Mars Attacks!

metal monkey wrote:
I was thinking how the team formats are played?

Here we have teams me maximum 5 people.
Only 3 people can play singles, so basically 3 on 3 equal nine single games and we play 2 doubles, so a total of 11 games or rubber.
Best of 5 sets up to 11 points.
We play home and away matches so home team supply the balls and a member of there team will umpire the first match. Second match then a member of ours umpires.

All results are recorded and handed in or sent to the organisor.

How about everyone?

Absolutely the same format here MM, except we all play in the same venue. No travel and much more social atmosphere when you are not actually playing.
Most of our teams are however made up of just 3 players who then form 2 pairs of doubles teams. We start @ 7:30pm and try to wrap up by 11pm.

We also have an express 2 person comp ( Masters) on another night of the week which has 2 players i.e 4 singles & 1 doubles but games are best of seven, usually all over in a couple of hours.