OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 03 May 2024, 16:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 05:41 
Dreamshaker

Very impressed. Looks like a winner for the non gluer like myself *thumbs up*.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 08:21 

speedplay wrote:
Now look what you've done! You have made me interested in yet another piece of TT-equipment!

:lol: Sorry to have caused a stir.

speedplay wrote:
1: I have heard that it has to be used on new rubbers only as it won't work if they have been glued before, true or false?

I glued it on some used rubbers and it worked out quite well. I suspect this depends on how much glue is already on the rubber. I do not speed glue so my cut (experimental) rubbers will have lesser glue on them. To give you an idea, I probably would have tried these rubbers on at least three times.

speedplay wrote:
2: When you have coated, you talk about letting it dry, first layer x hour's second layer y hours and so on. How manny coatings do you need, and how do you know when it's time to apply the next layer?

The thing with EE2 is that it is some form of oil, i suspect that its probably like one of the odourless solvents that you can buy from the art store. Oil takes longer to dry and longer for the sponge to soak it up. Also the dome effect will be more noticeable when EE2 is really soaked up.

How much do you need to apply? IMHO, it depends on the rubber/sponge and how much dome effect you want. For example, the andro rubbers I only applied two thin layers of EE2. Also, I apply only thin layers of this stuff and some small dome effect is sufficient for me. I don't tend to like some crazy domed rubbers. :lol:

How do you know when to apply the next layer?

I apply them when the previous coat is some what or almost dry. Others may want to do it differently.

speedplay wrote:
3: When the final layer is done, will it stick to the blade or you still need glue? In that case, regular glue or speedglue?

You still need glue. Regular glue should be sufficient.

speedplay wrote:
4: How long does the effect last?

I've been playing with my gear for a week now (using Dawei Inspirit) and its still plays very well. I'll make another update after 3-4 weeks.

speedplay wrote:
5: Do I still remove my rubbers after each practise or do I leave them on?

I don't use speed glue so I just clean my rubbers and leave them on.

speedplay wrote:
6: It's claimed that expander only increases speed, what are your thought on that?

For me, it also increases spin. But other people may have a different view.

Last edited by gundam on 13 Feb 2007, 08:52, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 08:23 

Leeroy wrote:
Very impressed. Looks like a winner for the non gluer like myself *thumbs up*.

Leeroy at this point I'd say that its worth giving it a go. I've been searching for a rubber (or solution) that performs like speed glued rubber without the speed glue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 10:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I would be 99% sure this will not be banned...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 14:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Well i finally had a brief hit with the bat...still have not tried it against some tough players so that will be a better test... i though an update might be good:

First thing I noticed is that you really need to glue it down properly...(I must have ignored all warnings :D ). After about an hour it started to come loose a little... not a big deal.

I'm convinced that it makes a good improvement to the rubber. However it's not like a speed effect as much as I expected. There is a definite sound, but it sound different to speed glue... there is a definite increase in speed, but less than a few layers of speed glue.
The spin increase seemed more significant than the speed.

But as was mentioned before, the rubber feels a lot better, not the hard feel that rubbers have especailly the first few times you use them.

They feel more springy and responsive, which is probably why I seem to get more spin.

I'm not convinced that it can replace speed glue, but it sure is a lot better than unglued...

I will need to try it out with some decent competition to get a better idea, and I will keep this thread alive so that people can report on how long the effect lasts as well...

Of course I need to try it on a few other rubbers, particularly ones with softer sponges where the effect is supposed to be better...I look forwards to that!

I hope other con continue to report on their findings as well.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2007, 02:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I think that the EEII helps more with the feel of the rubber than with performance. Rubbers that were stiff before now feel "broken in" the topsheet feels tensioned and the sponge feels more dynamic.

Not the same performance as a freshly speedglued rubber, but seems to give a lot of the feel of one. I use it on all my non-tensioned rubbers.

The EEII even seems to work on previously (lightly) glued rubbers, unlike the previous version. It feels like mineral oil, so it's easy to apply and clean up and there is no smell I can discern.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2007, 10:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think you're spot on Andrew, and you put it in much better words than I did :D

The increase in speed is definitely there, and so is the the increase in spin, so there is some performance increase...but not as dramatic as speed glue.

I get asked so many times if it's 'really a speed glue substitute'...and still I struggle to find a firm answer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2007, 12:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

For someone like myself who used to use one thin layer of long lasting glue once or twice a week I'd say EEII is a good substitute for that. For someone who puts multiple layers on every few hours, I'd say it's not .

I put it this way, it's a good way to make tensor rubbers out of non tensor rubbers. They will often be cheaper and last longer than the tensor type.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2007, 12:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Good answer, thank you Andrew!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2007, 07:05 

I use EEII in conjunction with speed glue on Globe 999 National. I love it. Every time I hit the ball I get a cracking sound that everybody thinks the ball is breaking!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2007, 07:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Welcom to the forum taidog!

How long has the EEII effect been lasting on your rubber?

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2007, 11:08 

haggisv wrote:
Welcom to the forum taidog!

How long has the EEII effect been lasting on your rubber?

Cheers!

Hard to say really. When I put it on the first time I used a couple applications that gave a good dome effect. That alone gives a good glue effect I know since I used regular Butterfly chack the first couple of times with the rubber just to prime it. After that I take the rubber off and let it shrink a little between play. Before play lately I've been using the glass glue technique that really does add a little more pop with todays speed glue. I'm the kind of player that wants the max speed glue effect out of a tacky rubber to add even more spin and loop capability. I think the EEII adds to the effect and stays for quite a while.... but again it's hard for me to measure since I'm maxing out every aspect I can... using Spin Max... etc. I would never stop using the EEII unless something better came along!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2007, 11:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks taidog...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2007, 03:23 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Hey, this stuff may be exactly what I'm looking for b/c I don't speed glue at all. Do we know how long this effect lasts, and if it does wear out, should the expander be applied again or is it just a one time thing?

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2007, 08:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Seems to last the life of the rubber. 1-2 coats for thinner sponge, 2-3 coats for thick sponge depending on how bouncy you like your rubber.

-- Andrew

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next