OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 02 May 2024, 19:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2007, 22:00 

Argh..... I can't find my old bat (more than 25 years old DHS blade & Butterfly rubbers). I thought of picking up TT again after all these years. Bought a Stiga Superior Roller & net today & a pair of cheap Stiga ready-made bats. Didn't know my wife plays TT in her hey days !

Browsing through this website, I thought I should pick up a basic but decent bat. Does anyone have any thoughts on DHS carbon CW-C with H2 or H3 ? I am basically an offensive player. I thought under $70 is good value. I read about H2 & H3 & I thought I am more inclined towards H3.

Any input is sppreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2007, 22:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It will make a very hard and fast combination, suitable more for hitting / /blocker than loopers. The combination will also be heavy, as both blade and the rubbers are quite heavy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2007, 00:00 
Super User

Also keep in mind that Hurricane rubbers have a very tacky (sticky) surface. They'll feel extremely different from Butterfly rubbers, which generally have a non-tacky surface and a softer sponge. It's also probably not the best to go with a carbon blade until you're a very skilled player (and even then, it's still a lot riskier).

If you get a nice all-wood blade, I think you'll find that it's plenty fast. Galaxy makes some very high quality, but inexpensive blades. If you're looking for rubbers that feel more like Butterfly's, but don't cost as much, you could go with something like Friendship's Focus line (1 is medium in softness, 2 is a fair bit faster, 3 is probably my favorite with a soft and springy sponge).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2007, 07:37 

Thanks guys. Pethaps I should go with DHS Dipper or DHS Magician, noting these are lighter blades (on special too). Are DHS rubbers all stickier than others comparatively ? Used Butterfly a lot but I want to try something stickier but not too sticky (if that makes sense). Also I tend to hit hard.

I prefer DHS blade for sentimental reasons. Perrhaps I will try others eventually.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2007, 08:10 
Super User

Then perhaps something half-tacky would suit you. If you're more of a hitter, 729 Faster III is quite nice and behaves kinda like a Japanese rubber due to the less tacky topsheet and soft sponge, but can generate a good bit more spin than a traditional non-tacky topsheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2007, 08:46 

Is there any general rules on what rubber to use on the other side once you have selected one side ? I used to use tempest and sriver

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2007, 09:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

DHS's dipper and dipper II are not sticky at all, but very grippy like Butterfly rubbers.

Other options are 729 Focus series. The FOCUS III should go nicely with a harder carbon blade.

Your choice of rubbers should depend on your style, one for backhand and one for forehand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 02:16 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
It will make a very hard and fast combination, suitable more for hitting / /blocker than loopers. The combination will also be heavy, as both blade and the rubbers are quite heavy...

C'mon Alex , you are your enemy :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: How can you say that H2 is heavy ? All my friends were siderated how light is my blade with H2 blue sponge on it and you say that sheet is heavy ????? And even my daughter's coach was wondered how soft is H2 blue sponge and he saw some sheets .... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 02:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:

I agree with Alex, I have a CW blade and it is probably the fastest blade I've ever used and is also quite heavy. It is also very good quality, but probably too fast if you're coming back from a long layoff. I find it too fast for me and I've been playing with a fast triple carbon blade the last two years and practicing at least 3 days a week since 2002.

Here's what I'd recommend, the LKT Instinct, or another ALL+ blade: http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/Shop/pr ... cts_id=154

If you're used to Japanese rubber, most Chinese rubbers (especially H2 and H3) will feel quite different. I like Dawei Inspirit myself for a Chinese price and Japanese type performance: http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/Shop/pr ... cts_id=273

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 06:19 
A Beautiful Brain

I love LKT Pro XT which is tacky soft and very spinny...I am sure you will crave spinniness like I did on coming back, because you will need some other advantage if things have slowed down...
Also get some Spinmax to help maintain the Chinese tackiness...works really well...
I also used to use a rubber similar to Sriver on my BH, but on my return I am using Neptune pimples on my BH...it is a process and like learning strokes all over again, but for me it has been a definite advantage...if you will just be playing your wife, then pips would not be a good idea...too confusing for her.. but if you are doing comp, then it could be worth a try.

fosss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 09:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

vali wrote:
haggisv wrote:

C'mon Alex , you are your enemy :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: How can you say that H2 is heavy ? All my friends were siderated how light is my blade with H2 blue sponge on it and you say that sheet is heavy ????? And even my daughter's coach was wondered how soft is H2 blue sponge and he saw some sheets .... :roll:

:lol: heh heh... yes the blue sponge version would generally be lighter and softer, but I would still not class it as a light rubber. The blade is on the heavy side, so all combined would make a bat on the heavy side...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 11:53 

If you go with hard and tacky chinese rubbers such as H2/3, I recommend that you combine them with a flexible 5-ply all wood blade in the ALL+ or OFF- category. The Magician falls into that category. I recommend 729 SP Transcend over H2/3. Prize Liqin was even better, but now it's only available with a soft 38 degree sponge.

In this case I think you'd really enjoy LKT Torrent or some of the Silver/Gold dragon series. I'd probably recommend a Galaxy M-6 with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 12:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

tiwaz wrote:
Prize Liqin was even better, but now it's only available with a soft 38 degree sponge.

No we've got a new batch in at 43deg... it's definitely still on th hard side..but I have not compared it to the likes of hurricane..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 16:42 

Haggisv, is it the same kind of white-ish japanese sponge that globe use on their other rubbers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 19:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes it is, and it look of good quality.

It's definitely softer than the like of hurricane, and just a little harder compared to the like of Higher, Faster...