OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Neubauer Gorilla tested
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 17:51 
The King

Not by me but a user on noppen-test.de has played with the gorilla rubber.

Original post in German

Google translation

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008, 17:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks Elvis, that's great! The google translation is not the best, but good enough to get the idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 02:35 
Angel of Abbyss

I also tested the Gorilla 0.6 mm and the Boomerang Classic 0.6 too. (Wednesdfay and thursdaf I will try the Grizzly 1.0 and the Monster Classic 1.0mm)

* Gorilla:

Something strange, not really an anty but far from a frictionless LP.
I will need another test (or others tests) to make a final opinion mainly because I found it very bouncy but Carsten Neubauer told me, the Gorilla was really sensitive to normal and speed glue.

With this one, you don't feel any spin, it is almost 0 friction. So you are not disturbed to return a service (expect maybe the speed). To return a service, you can even flip it or let the ball drop behind the net, quite disturbing for the opponent.
Blocking is not so easy, you have to find the right angle but it is possible and should be easy to do it after some trainings.

Attacking, easy if you can handle the speed and the needed angle. Instead of a big movement, you need a short move to play with the Gorilla. I also tried it for classical defense, the first balls were far from the table till I understand I had to make a short move to return the ball.
At the first sight it is not easy to do and will ask practice.

On the video of Neubauer, you see a great inversion effect, I am still looking for such a result but I could make it on smaller scale.

Oh yes, I tried it on a Tibhar Techno Power contact and a new Era on the forehand side.

I go now to the LP section for the test of the Boomerang Classic.

I will give you more impressions after the second test and also for the Grizzly.

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 11:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great, thanks a lot Diabolosyl!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 14:24 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Yeah Diab, nice review. I can't recall if you were about to get married or have a child when we last saw you, but I assume its the reason for your absence?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 00:52 

hi there

couldn´t play the gorilla (recieved a grippy version + had to send it back). but maybe a few words about my short test with the grizzly 1.00 on a future ma1 (off):

compared to superblock or toni hold new anti the grizzly is quite fast and not really easy to control (for me;). especially blocking is different from frictionless rubbers (dif. angle). I could use it for "classical defence" away from the table. close to the table you have to be (tooo?) fast to get into the right position. spin reversal was not bad, opponents sometimes made similar mistakes like against fr. pips too but it´s definitely not on the same level as it used to be with my "superblock".

conclusion: much faster than the antis I´ve tried before (804/th new 40/best anti), not easy to control but more spinreversal on a fast blade! an energy reducing sponge could be helpful but I guess it would also kill some/most spin reversal!? :oops:

surely you'll need some time (x months?) to get used to this anti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 00:58 
The King

Strange to find out it's not slow. I've tried the FS 804 and even that one i found too fast for an anti rubber. Last week tried someone's super anti and that has the kind of slowness i expect from an anti rubber.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 01:43 
Angel of Abbyss

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Yeah Diab, nice review. I can't recall if you were about to get married or have a child when we last saw you, but I assume its the reason for your absence?

You are right, I was preparing the room and the bathroom for the coming of my son. He is now expected on the 29th april.

But this wednesday and thursday I already organise tests with the Monster and the Grizzly. Everything is ready for the baby so I have a bit more time for the net and for the ping... till he is here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 03:14 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

I'm at a dilemna now - my Gorilla has arrived (and Monster classic too) but I only have 'normal' glue! And yet I want to play with this now!

Do I make it up as normal (but with a thin later on rubber per Dr N advice) or do I wait until I've bought a water based glue. Anyone who knows me will know the answer.

I won't be able to wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 03:47 
Angel of Abbyss

You can do it with an old normal glue (avoid speed glue) but:
+ be careful: only a slight layer and do not try to extend it, just lay it on the blade.
+ don't be too surprised for the first balls, it will be fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 04:25 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

OK - it's done. I glued the blade and was about to glue the sponge when I decided against. I rubbed away all the glue from the blade and attached with a glue sheet - hope I don't have to remove it in a hurry as this is where glue sheets let you down!

First impressions.....

It's faster than I was expecting. Pretty springy despite the absence of glue (other than I guess a little residue from where I originally glued the blade). This is on my very slow Barricade blade but it feels pretty springy - hoping this will wear down quickly.

In terms of spin, it takes none! Did the usual test - spin the ball up vertically and let it then fall onto the Gorilla - ball bounces straight up - then turn the blade back to SP's and it spins away - so there is clear reversal there, albeit not as much as I would see from Scalpel.

I rubbed a ball over the surface (which amusingly looks quite tacky/spinny) and there is no grip - compare it to the Mirage which is grabbing at the ball as you rub it. This is clearly going to give more effect than the Mirage. Still concerned about speed tho as I'm longing to not lose my drop shots.

Can't help wondering how a rubber topsheet like this would play on the Hallmark super slow sponge you get with Mirage.

Should be able to play with this in competition this thursday when I will comment properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2008, 11:20 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

dingwol2 wrote:
Can't help wondering how a rubber topsheet like this would play on the Hallmark super slow sponge you get with Mirage.

I'm wondering how long it will be before either Hallmark use this sponge for a frictionless topsheet (like Gorilla) or Dr put a sponge like this under the frictionless topsheets they already have.

Hallmark have the sponge, but the Dr has the topsheet. The race is on...

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 21:51 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

This is just a prelude to my review! I'm playing a league match tonight and am going to use the Gorilla for every game, regardless of performance. It's the only way I'm really going to learn what it can do and I'm genuinely quite excited about trying this, as I think its going to be the best frictionless pip alternative released so far. I'm going to have to concentrate like mad if I'm going to have any success with this straight off, as I'm playing quite a good team.

My set up is:-

Dr N Barricade
Gorilla 0.6mm red
Tango Ultra 2.5mm black (I have to max the sponge because of the slow blade)

I will report back as soon as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 23:33 
The Twiddler

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!! :D

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2008, 08:39 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

OK - there was some good and bad tonight. I won 2 from 3 plus the doubles. The team we played I should normally win 3 against, but they are not really poor, so it's a reasonable test.

Spin reversal - there is some. It's not anywhere near as marked as Scalpel or other frictionless rubbers, but compared to anything else legal I've tried, it's probably the most so far. There was no 'wobble' on the ball.

My instinct is to play my usual frictionless strokes but these did not work for me at times - I dumped a lot of basic shots straight into the net. Particularly against little or no spin, when I probably needed a different bat angle or to be more aggresive. This is harder to play than the old pips - it does not just suck up the speed and spin, you need to react more with better touch and also with more difference in your bat angle.

I did send back 1 return of a very spinny loop which sticks in my mind tonight as it felt like a frictionless return - it was put straight back into the net. But I would expect to have done this more. Much of the time, the spin I send back felt little or nothing - nothing ripped back like the backspin I'm used to against a heavy loop.

Where I struggled was service return. Hard into the Gorilla with some top and side, I kept popping the ball up and then getting killed by 3rd ball. This was the match I lost.

And this is the problem for me. It feels too fast. I dread to think what happens if you do use solvent glue! I have this on my slowest of slow blades but I put quite a few off the table. It it definately too fast to adapt to easily. The Dr N marketing says you can adapt after some hours of playing, but I'm struggling to see how I'm going to play my short game and drop shots, which are a fundamental part of my strategy. I did sent back some great returns but almost all were long down the table, very few double bounces.

But I will persevere. There is potential and I need to learn the techniques for this rubber (and watch the DVD when it comes out). If I can learn how and when to hit, and also when to play a softer/slower block, then I can make progress. But for those looking for a magic bullet to replace their frictionless pips in an instant, on first look this is not it.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!