OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 06 May 2024, 23:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2007, 21:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'll use this thread for some of the experiments I'd like to run on comparing cleaners, and in particular Spinmax and Spinmax Aqueous.

We already had a great thread on cleaners here:
Rubber Cleaner experiments but I did not have spinmax to compare with at the time.

I grabbed an old rubber (RITC 2000 black), which was well worn and had to grip left... I decided to clear one half with the normal Spinmax, and the other half with the new Spinmax Aqueous.

I'll do a more detailed experiment later, with pictures and tests and stuff, but this was a quick test to see how well it worked, and if the water based one worked as well as the original heptane one.

Well after the initial 3 applications, which the instructions tell you you should use for the very first time, both solutions cleaned up the rubber very well, and gave them a definite tack. The tack it got, no other cleaners seem to do, which is what makes spinmax different.

The spinmax Aqueous takes a few mins in between applications to dry, but I found it a little easier to apply since the liquid does not evaporate so quicky. The rubbing with the applicator should only be done when the pads are wet (or you can damage the surface a little), which is easier to do with the water based one.

The results seemed very similar, and both parts of the rubber ended up with similar grip/tack. The spinmax aqueous seemed to leave the surface a bit more glossy and not as dry, but I'll need to run a few more tests to be sure, and this may not affect the feel of the rubber anyway....

The original spinmax is quite well known and highly regarded, so I'm sure this works very well... I'm just keen to know if the Aqueous is as good....

More to follow....suggestions on what tests and/or how would be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2007, 22:54 

The rubbing with the applicator should only be done when the pads are wet (or you can damage the surface a little), which is easier to do with the water based one.

When the cleaning pad is wet with water or wet meaning saturated with the spinmax? I know heptane and water don't mix so I thought you were on to some application trick.

pongcrazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 09:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

By wet I meant saturated with the spinmax, either the normal one or the water based one.

I used different pads for the 2 different spinmaxes, so this wasn't a problem. You make a good point though, and this was worth pointing out.

Post subject: Spinmax
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 11:13 

Maybe a stupid question, or , I may be stupid, but why not just use a light coat of heptane?

LOOPERS RULE, I'm just trying to keep up!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 11:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

There is a lot more in the normal spinmax than just heptane. There are other cleaning agents in there that help cleaning and make the rubber more sticky.
Plain heptane does not produce the same effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 20:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Before I start doing my tests, can some of you share how you use spinmax for your rubbers? Things like:

1. How many applications do you use?
2. Do you use it just before you start play
3. Do you attached the plastic sheet after you've applied spinmax
4. How long do you rub it in for... just a few wipes or lots of rubbing?

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 20:28 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I use spinmax blue now and again.

I drip/pour it onto the rubber and let it dry.
bahahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 22:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Wow... doesn't that leave marks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 22:53 
I am Legend
I am Legend

not really. just cover the entire rubber :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 03:19 

being a bit tight i use it on a cotton bud and wipe it up and down on the blade first wipe over goes within 2 or 3 seconds second coat stays wet for about 10 seconds so you can rub it all over the blade uses hardly any spinmax compared to the proper applicator
here are the instructions i had with my sample pot
pour spinmax onto applicator pad rub in a circular motion pressing firmly as you rub.you wil notice that spinmax evaporates quite quickly.if applicator pad catches while you rub, you do not have enough spinmax on the pad.
it is important that you spread spinmax evenly across the whole face of the rubber.
always waite about 5-10 minutes after each application to ensure max effectiveness
WITH FIRST USE
apply 2-3 applications to each side of the bat alternate between applications.do this a few hours before you play.then repeat about half hourbefore play
AFTER FIRST USE
apply only once prior to play.some players may find that onceapplication every 3 or 4 sessions is sufficient. wipe the rubber with aater dampened cloth after play to help maintain and extend spinmax effectiveness

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 03:23 

it also said that if you get streaks on your rubber to replace the applicator pad
i personally use 1 cooton bud end for first 2 coats on rubber then the clean end thats left i use for the final wipe over it amazing how much dirt comes off
of course then i do the same on the reverse
so all told thats 2 cotton buds a lot cheaper than the applicators easier in my opinion and just as effective as the applicator anyway good luck hope this is helpful to somebody

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 15:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks guys, any others?