OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2007, 18:56 
Rubber Killer!

Hi everyone

I had the chance to play with the P-1R for a good 7hours today (sickie :lol: )

This rubber has generated the most attention ever since the Worlds in 2003 when Joo got to the final. Well its been 4 years after and its still as popular as ever as well informed defenders will know. Its been a well conceived fact on the internet that the P-1R is Joo's favourite choice of rubber, Although some argue its the Feint Long 2 which I highly doubt as Ill explain later.

Initial Impressions

Upon opening the packet, the P-1R looks to be of very high quality. I bought the soft variant of the rubber expecting that It would slow the rubber down and increase control. Well to my surprise the sponge isn't anywhere near soft. The yellow 1mm that came under it is probably close to 45+ degree's. Its so hard that its very resistant to compressing (squeezing it with fingers). I guess in a sense it helps keep the ball off the blade. The topsheet looks to be made from a odd mixture of rubber. I have a black sheet and it seems quite dull at a glance. Gives off the impression that its dead, which is always good. The pips are almost max length and the tops are textured. The side of the pips are fairly smooth as well giving off a "chalky" look to it.

General Playing Characteristics

Well first off impressions told me that this rubber is quite fast. After using the Phantom 009 the P-1R is quite springy in comparison. It does indeed have a fairly dead feel to it which is nice, it still doesn't really help as the sponge is just too hard. For hitting and blocking its excellent, but when it comes to chopping, the P-1R asks for good hands. Read on to find out why.

Pushing/Scooping

Pushing against backspin and no spin is excellent. Its a bit springy so you must be quite careful with the amount of power you exert. Against heavy backspin pushes, you must be confident in your shot. If you accelerate your wrist through the ball aggressively on contact, a very low, fast and dead ball will be produced. If you hesitate the ball will most likely pop up with no spin which means you'll be blasted off the table by better players. Pushing against no spin is not quite as easy as some other LP's out there. Its springiness means just the slightest mis hit will result in a floater that pops up. Keep in mind I was using a All+ blade with a soft feel.

Scooping is excellent with the P-1R. Its springiness helps in these scenarios as you can easily scoop with a upwards or sideways action consistently against any backspin ball. The resulting ball will kick off the table with topspin and is very effective since it makes it very hard to attack. Against no spin its quite hard just like pushing, you constantly have to be aware of the force you exert.

Hitting/Blocking

Hitting can be done quite consistently but it requires great footwork to be in position for every shot. Hitting against backspin and topspin or any spin for that matter is simply quite easy. As long as you hit through the ball without trying to put the ball away, its very consistent.

Blocking against loops is fairly easy as well, the rubber seems to be quite consistent as long as you maintain a consistent racket angle. Chop blocking is fairly consistent and the resulting ball is quite heavy and just skids off the table making it impossible for the opponent to blast it past you.

Mid-distance Chopping

This is where the P-1R gives mixed impressions. Its actually quite hard to chop consistently heavy because of its speed. Although this isn't all that bad because the main problem lies with the fact that I cant control this rubber like a pro can. On the times where I was spot on and in position I could generate a chop that was incredibly heavy for the opponent.

To sum it up in regards to chopping. It heavily relies on your own skill, forget half hearted shots as they wont do anything. Just putting the ball back consistently is easy but when trying to chop aggressively, you must be careful because of the speed of the LP. When your timing is spot on the resulting chop is incredibly hard to manage for the opponent.

Overall it gives a great chopping feel when your in position. You can literally hear when your timing is spot on. For the people out there who have watched some Joo Matches, you'll be familiar with this noise.

Conclusion

A very utility like rubber. Really depends on your own skill more then anything else. Its a great allround rubber that can do everything well, but its difficult to control because of its speed. I think its not such a bad thing as it forces you to play above your level. Confidence in shot making along with good workout will allow you to overcome these problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2007, 19:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice review LawOCG, thanks again for you great contribution!

Did you consider the possibility they may not have sent you the soft version? Can't imagine anyone calling a sponge like that soft...

You're probably right ...with enough skill level a harder sponge is probably an advantage. By the way Joo return serves (with a very fast chopping action), I always imagines that the sponge would be soft, since he seems to get considerable backspin...

What is the spin reversal like? A hard sponge would probably help a little there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2007, 19:55 
Rubber Killer!

Just rummaged through all my packet covers. You could be right, I don't see soft anywhere on the packet. The sponge does have 2 Japanese kanji symbols on it but I don't know what they mean.

Well that sorta throws everything off, If it is indeed the normal version. Then the review is not for the Soft variant. Ill sort it out with the supplier I got it from before I change anything.

The spin reversal is very dependent on your stroke. The harder you chop the more spin it gives. A lazy consistent chop produces very little backspin, while a aggressive chop that is timed well will produce a chop that is extremely heavy. I would say its just about the same as the 009.

The 009 is heavy but the ball slows down and gives the opponent a feeling that its not to be messed with. The chops with P-1R don't slow down most of the time and just keep going after the bounce. Its still very heavy but its more suited to modern defence. Safe defence with the P-1R is quite hard.

I had a hit with the Feint Long II 1.1mm today as well, so I was able to compare side by side with the P-1R. Ill post my findings if anyone's interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2007, 21:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
LawOCG wrote:
I had a hit with the Feint Long II 1.1mm today as well, so I was able to compare side by side with the P-1R. Ill post my findings if anyone's interested.

Yes of course, very interested :mrgreen: (where's the 'drewling from the mouth smilie? heh heh)

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2007, 00:00 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

[quote="LawOCG"]

Well first off impressions told me that this rubber is quite fast. After using the Phantom 009 the P-1R is quite springy in comparison. but when it comes to chopping, the P-1R asks for good hands.

Mid-distance Chopping

This is where the P-1R gives mixed impressions. Its actually quite hard to chop consistently heavy because of its speed. I could generate a chop that was incredibly heavy for the opponent. when trying to chop aggressively, you must be careful because of the speed of the LP. When your timing is spot on the resulting chop is incredibly hard to manage for the opponent.

[quote]

Yes. True. I feel that P1 pips is harder(means faster?) than most LP, harder to bend.
That's why I couldn't control it with Firewall plus, I used Destroyer OX. Then I got Aurora and it works well with P1-R coz I need to chop hard!!!!
One more thing, I believe it allows me to change/control my spin anywhere from float to super heavy spin quit precisely

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64