OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Nittaku Screw Soft
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 15:47 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I have been playing with Super Anti Special for months now. It reverses spin real well. So good, that you cant hit a loop back with it as it turns it into chop and the ball actually curves up. Works good for blocking though.
I tried my first long pips about 3 weeks ago and am switching. It is much more versital. On blocks or light shots, it will reverse spin but if I hit with it, it gets just enough grab to make some topspin. I can counter hit hard loops and they go back with just a little topspin. They land because it takes so much speed off the ball even though I give a normal hard loop stroke. I also found I can loop serves and flip consistantly.
I don't move from the table very often but found I can chop away from the table very easy.
With the Seemiller grip, I can use either side on the backhand without twiddling by just turning my forarm over. I do twiddle on the forhand more now.
These LPs sound alot like my Energy when I hit so they really have to pay attention.
I hit with a 2200+ player with the best serves I have seen. I had trouble even with the anti but was able to do much better with the LPs. When I flipped some of his serves or looped them with the LPs he had real trouble with the resulting spin, or lack of. (I learned some new words!!!)
I just found this forum and read most of the stuff about LPs as I am now using it. Nittaku Screw Soft is the only one I have tried and was wondering if anyone else has used it and could compare it to other LPs. wont be changing as I have a tourney this weekend. Cant wait to see what I can do with it. It has been more devestating than the anti on all my usual Club players.
:D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 16:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum hookshot, and welcome to the DARK SIDE!

Thanks for the feedback on the screw, I've never seen any review on this one. It sounds like a very versatile rubber. Do you use a sponge or is it OX?

It sounds like a grippy long pip, but there are no 2 long pip rubbers the same, all tend to have some unique properties.

Hopefully some of the other have tried it, so they can offer some comparisons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2007, 00:54 

Thanks Haggisv,
It has a 1m sponge. It is listed as Long Pip by Nittaku but lots of people have said it does not "look" like LP. That is because the pips are big in diameter compared to the leangth.
Since I have not used any other, it is hard to tell you much about it by comparision. I can compare it to anti.
For blocking, it is similar in how it takes the speed off the ball and reverses spin. It is a little faster than antis.
When I chop away from the table, I can float the ball just over the net very similar to a hardbat chop.
The shot that is giving people Lots of trouble though, is when I twiddle and do what looks like a Kong Super loop if you know what I mean. It goes back with a little top, stays low and is misread by even 2000+ players. This works in the middle of a rally or returning serve. It is really easy to hit almost any ball or flip short serves.
If you "pull" the ball accross the rubber by hand, you can feel a little grip compared to anti. Light pressure gives very little grip but the grip goes up with more pressure. That is the main difference from anti I think and why I can hit with it and still get spin reversal at low speeds.
Cool stuff, people hate it!!! :twisted:

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2007, 02:05 

Speedplay,
With a name like Screw Soft, how can you "not" try it??? LOL :)

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2007, 08:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

It actually sounds very similar to the TSP P-2 I tried... see my mini-review in this section... Yours has a much cooler name though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2007, 09:13 

i know that this can be really really stupid but how does a a antispin look like it doesnt have pimples does it????

sorryb for asking this question but iv never seen one really sorry

thanks
miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2007, 09:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Correct, an antispin rubber is smooth, with virtually NO grip at all on the surface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 19:32 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

That was the trick Carl Prean used.

He apparently speed glued the 1.5mm sponge of his Leggy for more speed. He'd developed a b/h stroke that worked identically with both the pips and inverted, and twiddled like mad, sometimes before and after a stoke during high speed rallies :shock: All but the top 10-15 in the world seemed to struggle against this strategy.

The result was either high top spin, or very mild top spin, and I've got some video where in some points he stands favouring his b/h side.

Mathias has been testing out Leggy and this style of play.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 20:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes that pretty awesome.... I still wonder if the throw of the rubbers WAS actually the same, or if he had to adjust for every shot.... If you can find one with identical throw, you would not need to worry so much which side you're using when looping, only your opponent does :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 06:15 

Tourney results;
Should have been # 1 or #2.
First round was a round robin. First two move on to the second round, single elimination.
My partner won his table in the first round and I won mine. He beat the guy that has won for three years.
Next round, sure enough, drew my partner. We play 5 or 6 days a week together and know each other real well and are very even. He won a close match. If we had not played each other first thing, I think we would have won, #1 + #2 or #1 and #3. (if he had not injured himself later.)
He was finally called for his next match, jumped off the stage to the gym floor and pulled a muscle in his leg. He played but could not move so he ended up fourth.
The Screw Soft did it's job!!! Really screws them. LOL. Got to play other LP's and found it easy. I have to go play now but will tell you about some of the shots that worked real well with the LP's. :)

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 08:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes I hate having to play my practice partner during tournaments...really sucks!

Sounds like you guys did allright though, good effort!

Yep keep those comments on the LPs coming:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 14:24 

Some things that worked; (in the tourney)
Twiddling alot on forhand loops.
Counter looping loops with the LP.
Looping any long serve with the LP.
Blocking loops with the LP.
Making what looks like a KONG Super loop with the LP. 80% of the returns went in the net if they even made it to the net.
FAST backhand serve, corner to corner with LPs. ( it was misread as topspin ALOT and attacked.) Really no or low top spin and hard to hit.
Make a REAL HARD OBVIOUS chop serve with the LPs, really no spin.
Some other things that worked;
Hide the bat on a forhand serve, they would be thinking so much about which side I was going to use, they would screw up no matter what the serve was.
Hide the bat when receiving serve. I was surprised no one else did that. Again, one more thing for them to think about at a critical time.
I played several others with LP on one side. I always looked which way they had the bat and would only serve no spin with my LPs to thier Lps. Tricky serves only went to their regular rubber. They kept twiddling before the serve as I have very good tricky serves and they were trying to guess which I would serve to. All I had to do was look at thier bat. LOL
I tried NOT to loop to thier LP side. None of them were very good at twiddling during a rally.
Another tourney in two weeks!!! Got to practice with the Screw Soft!
This is Fun!! :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 15:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

There's some good tips there!

I'm not sure about the looping and counter looping with the long pips. I find this hard to do consitantly, especially when they loop hard. Perhaps your LP makes it a little easier.

Sounds like you're having a lot fun! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 16:09 

Haggisv,
The LP that I have may be the reason I can do that, don't know as it is the first I tried.
To counter loop a loop you must use a full Loop stroke. If you just counter hit, it goes back no spin and wont drop fast enough.
Same thing with looping a serve, if it comes off the end of the table I just do a Kong looking super loop. You have to have a more open bat than with regular rubber but the stroke is the same. Similar to looping backspin. The reason it still goes on with very little topspin generated is because the LP takes off so much speed. Judging by the reactions of many different players, they cant believe there is not a ton of topspin on it. The better players that had it figured knew not to attack a no spin ball.
Yep, I am having fun, been through about 30 different spinny rubbers and six different anti's in the last year and a half. Only used 2 different ones in competition though, the rest were experiments. The LP's opened a new door for me. Fun to watch players look at thier bat to see if it got sweat on it or something after a ball they hit didn't make it halfway to the net. :shock:

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 16:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

It really does sound like it's more of a short to medium pip (in behaviour), which make that type of stroke easier. The thicker sponge of course helps as well... If it's working for you, than that's great, and as you say it's a lot of fun!

It really sounds very similar to the TSP P-2, which means it's probably quite good for hitting as well.