OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 08 May 2024, 21:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 18:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
We seem to regularly get question on Robots, so I though it would be worthwhile to start a thread, listing all the important features, which we think are most important. I'll summare at the end, and will probably write it up, should make a useful guide! I'll start off with a list of features below:

- Speed and spin independent
- Heavy backspin
- Heavy topspin
- Pure sidespin
- Adjustable head height
- Net assembly
- Attachment: own support, attached to table end, in top of table
- Swings from side to side
- Ball capacity
- Programmable spin from one ball to next
- Programmable location
- Ease of setting up / taking down
- Cost

Would be great for those that have robots, to add some comments on what they think are the most (or least) useful, and some comments on what you think people should look for...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 21:49 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Hi Haggisv,

I've got TT robot super master cost 500 $AU its replika of Newgy - Newgy 2040 Personal Robot only diference is that Super Master has two weels.The robot's name: 2nd Generation SuperMaster table tennis robot !
The robot's model T288-ll I have this robot for a year now and never have a problem.

Features-Manufacturers description are spot on

Topspin, backspin,sidespin,non-spinning and even combination spins can easily be selected. To change the spin, simply rotate the head of the robot until the desired spin is at the top of the Ball Discharge Hole. The Robot Head can go round and round for 180 degrees, the angle and direction change with the rotation of the RH. For combination spins, move the head until one of the rotational arrows is at the top of the Ball Discharge Hole.
Ball Speed, Frequency and Oscillation
Your robot is extremely versatile and fully adjustable to suit a wide variety of playing abilities and styles. Regulates the Ball speed and spin by adjusting the Ball Speed and the time between shots by adjusting the Ball Frequency; the lowest setting can deliver 30 balls and the highest can deliver 90 balls per minute; regulates the speed at which the robot head sweeps side to side, the Robot Head can be positioned at desired direction to deliver balls to one spot and also deliver balls to different spots by setting the Robot Head sweeping side to side.
Ball Trajectory
The trajectory of a ball is regulated by adjusting the angle of the robot head. The angle can be changed from low to high by Loosening the Brass Knob on the right side of the robot head, tilting the head to the desired angle and then re-tightening the Brass Knob.
Oscillation Range
The robot has 8 selectable ranges by regulating the two Control Levers at the back of the robot. The Right Control Lever is restricted to positions 1, 2, & 3; the left to positions 4, 5, & 6.
Folding Recycling System, recycle and circulate automatically
The recycling system can recycle the balls if they are good returns, and you can enjoy the playing in succession without picking up the balls. The folding system is legerity, easy to pack away and occupies only a little space.
Time watch function, suitable for club operation

Dawnside:
-This robot can"t shoot one topspin then one sidespin then one underspin balls. only one tipe of spin at the time.It cant be programed like Smart Pong robot but Smart Pong is from $1600 to $2000 AU
so I would say Super Master is for lower budgets.

[imgImage]
[/imgImage]
[imgImage]
[/imgImage]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 22:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Great post, thanks purger, looks like a very good buy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 22:10 
Super Looper
Super Looper

haggisv wrote:
Great post, thanks purger, looks like a very good buy!

Yes It does a good job for player of my level and easy to set up 5 min
real value for money I think it"s chipest robot out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 22:48 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
One flaw of robot which negates all of the positives of it... I'd rather play with human so even if I were given the Ultimate Robot, I wouldn't be able to use it for too long...

Probably because the plenty and convenient tt clubs around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 22:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes I agree. I think that anyone who's looking for a robot, as a substitude for a practice partner, will be disappointed. Robots simply cannot simulate real players.

However is you use it practice specific strokes or drills, it can be highly beneficial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 23:20 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
haggisv wrote:
However is you use it practice specific strokes or drills, it can be highly beneficial.

Agreed. But I go back to my point earlier... I need to practice but I don't want to do it with robot...

Just like biking... I bike only with real bike and outside of the house... So, don't buy me a stationary bike or robot... Actually, on second thought.... Give me whatever, I could always sell them later and use the dough for more blades and rubbers... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 00:08 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
good thread Alex :)

I've come to the conclusion that a robot, when used correctly, most definitely can help one improve. The important thing is to use it correctly. The truth is, some people because of where they live, are not able to have a regular practice partner. Of course an actual person is better than a robot, but surely having a robot is better than having nothing at all?

I was able to train with a robot for a short time when I would have otherwise had no access to table tennis. I used an old newgy which only has one wheel--this is what I did for some do-it-yourself type coaching:

1) Don't set the ball frequency too high, concentrate completely on form and be conscious of the spin setting you have (this is what I do against heavy topspin, or top/side, etc)

2) Right from the start videotape yourself and examine your form to see any errors in your stroke. If you need help analyzing then find a high-level player to examine the tape (email/forums/youtube get rid of the distance problem)

3) once your form looks good on tape and has passed the examination of some upper level players, begin to groove the stroke by increasing time/frequency. Begin to use the oscillate feature. Remember to keep videoing yourself to make sure your form isn't breaking down.

If you do this for each basic stroke (tedious I know) it will help your form improve correctly and will help you avoid many of the pitfalls that people tend to associate with robot training.

That said, I think that using a robot is most effective for an intermediate level player who needs to work out a few kinks in his stroke. A complete beginner should definitely find some way to get in-person coaching...

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 01:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I wonder if with a robot I could play safely without any injury risk? Hmm, this is a little too tempting a thought right now!

Rok, you should get that robot. Then when you know you don't like it, I'll buy it from you for say $100. Should be enough for a new blade :lol: :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 05:13 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Joo Se Kev wrote:
good thread Alex :)

I've come to the conclusion that a robot, when used correctly, most definitely can help one improve. The important thing is to use it correctly. The truth is, some people because of where they live, are not able to have a regular practice partner. Of course an actual person is better than a robot, but surely having a robot is better than having nothing at all?

I was able to train with a robot for a short time when I would have otherwise had no access to table tennis. I used an old newgy which only has one wheel--this is what I did for some do-it-yourself type coaching:

1) Don't set the ball frequency too high, concentrate completely on form and be conscious of the spin setting you have (this is what I do against heavy topspin, or top/side, etc)

2) Right from the start videotape yourself and examine your form to see any errors in your stroke. If you need help analyzing then find a high-level player to examine the tape (email/forums/youtube get rid of the distance problem)

3) once your form looks good on tape and has passed the examination of some upper level players, begin to groove the stroke by increasing time/frequency. Begin to use the oscillate feature. Remember to keep videoing yourself to make sure your form isn't breaking down.

If you do this for each basic stroke (tedious I know) it will help your form improve correctly and will help you avoid many of the pitfalls that people tend to associate with robot training.

That said, I think that using a robot is most effective for an intermediate level player who needs to work out a few kinks in his stroke. A complete beginner should definitely find some way to get in-person coaching...

Totaly agre with you Joo Se Kev.
I had truble with my B/H a year ago since I practise with robot 3-4 times a week for 2-3 hours my B/H has become one of the best in club.

As well agre with Rok practice with real player is beter BUT if is none available wat tho you do :?:

Robot is defenetly way to improvment :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 05:24 
Super User

As the owner of a Newgy 2040 I have been able to get in significant amounts of practice and significantly improve my game while living in a location that does not allow me access to a coach and allows me only very infrequent access to a club. I think this is really the biggest strength of having a robot.

If you have the ability to play with a real human player, that is always superior to playing with the robot, but for some of us there just isn't that much of an option. However, with that said, there are definitely some things that I wish I could add to this robot in terms of functionality.

Having more than one wheel to propel the ball is a very big step forward. With these Newgy robots the speed and the spin are directly tied together because of the single wheel. As a result, when you crank the speed up enough to simulate a real fast rally the spin being generated on the ball is often unrealistically high. This is particularly true when you have the robot producing underspin balls. When a robot has more than one wheel you can make the speed of the ball independent from the spin and thereby practice the same shot at the same speed with different amounts of spin.

This is one of the biggest weaknesses I am seeing in my game right now as a result of having practiced with the robot quite a bit. I am not able to make adjustments very well to slight variations in spin. This is something that I am working on very slowly over time when I do play with regular human training partners, but it is slow. I think this is one place where the robot has actually hurt me a little bit because the robot always produces exactly the same amount of spin on the shot at any given speed. That makes it too easy to adjust to.

Taking this one step further, would be actually having the ability to program different types of spin on each ball being thrown at you. This feature does exist, though only on the higher end robots. If you have $2500 or $3000 to throw at a robot you can get ones that will do everything but the dishes. This was not in my budget so it was not an option for me, but with these higher end robots you can have each ball being propelled such that they are not only sent to a different location on the table, but also at different speeds and spins settings. This goes a long way toward simulating play with a real human partner.

One other weakness of most robots is that they attach to the end of the table. While this makes it fairly easy and quick to set up and break down, it also gets you used to only hitting a ball coming from one part of the table. Ironically enough, the cheapest of the robots that simply sit on top of the table eliminate this problem because you can move the robot anywhere you want to have it give you a shot that you want from the location that you want to receive it. So practicing services that are sent from either corner of the table is possible. Furthermore, you can set it on a chair or small rolling table and set it well behind the table such that you can practice lobs or even counterlooping.

One kind of cool new feature that the newer robots have it is a random short/long feature which means that for any given shot that is programmed in, the robot may choose to drop the ball shorter or send the ball longer than normal. This is yet another feature that throws in the sort of randomness that you would receive when playing a human player. I guess the best thing to look for in any given robot is how unrobotic it actually is. The more randomly and haphazardly it can throw balls that you the better off you probably are. :-)

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 05:26 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Robot is also the best way to test a new setup or rubber under controlled conditions. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 05:32 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Glueless wrote:
As the owner of a Newgy 2040 I have been able to get in significant amounts of practice and significantly improve my game while living in a location that does not allow me access to a coach and allows me only very infrequent access to a club. I think this is really the biggest strength of having a robot.

If you have the ability to play with a real human player, that is always superior to playing with the robot, but for some of us there just isn't that much of an option. However, with that said, there are definitely some things that I wish I could add to this robot in terms of functionality.

Having more than one wheel to propel the ball is a very big step forward. With these Newgy robots the speed and the spin are directly tied together because of the single wheel. As a result, when you crank the speed up enough to simulate a real fast rally the spin being generated on the ball is often unrealistically high. This is particularly true when you have the robot producing underspin balls. When a robot has more than one wheel you can make the speed of the ball independent from the spin and thereby practice the same shot at the same speed with different amounts of spin.

This is one of the biggest weaknesses I am seeing in my game right now as a result of having practiced with the robot quite a bit. I am not able to make adjustments very well to slight variations in spin. This is something that I am working on very slowly over time when I do play with regular human training partners, but it is slow. I think this is one place where the robot has actually hurt me a little bit because the robot always produces exactly the same amount of spin on the shot at any given speed. That makes it too easy to adjust to.

Taking this one step further, would be actually having the ability to program different types of spin on each ball being thrown at you. This feature does exist, though only on the higher end robots. If you have $2500 or $3000 to throw at a robot you can get ones that will do everything but the dishes. This was not in my budget so it was not an option for me, but with these higher end robots you can have each ball being propelled such that they are not only sent to a different location on the table, but also at different speeds and spins settings. This goes a long way toward simulating play with a real human partner.

One other weakness of most robots is that they attach to the end of the table. While this makes it fairly easy and quick to set up and break down, it also gets you used to only hitting a ball coming from one part of the table. Ironically enough, the cheapest of the robots that simply sit on top of the table eliminate this problem because you can move the robot anywhere you want to have it give you a shot that you want from the location that you want to receive it. So practicing services that are sent from either corner of the table is possible. Furthermore, you can set it on a chair or small rolling table and set it well behind the table such that you can practice lobs or even counterlooping.

One kind of cool new feature that the newer robots have it is a random short/long feature which means that for any given shot that is programmed in, the robot may choose to drop the ball shorter or send the ball longer than normal. This is yet another feature that throws in the sort of randomness that you would receive when playing a human player. I guess the best thing to look for in any given robot is how unrobotic it actually is. The more randomly and haphazardly it can throw balls that you the better off you probably are. :-)

Nice post Glueless

thats why TT-288 Super Master is better has two weels so you can independently adjust spin or speed other than that Newgy 2040 and Super Master are identical.As seler told me that is reason why is made in Taiwan to avoid Newgy company low suit.LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 10:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Great stuff guys!

Yes I agree with JSK, it's most suitable for intermediate players, that already know the basic strokes... beginners may well make their bad habits worse and harder to kick!

A common complaint I've heard is that the slowest ball frequency is still too high... do others find that?

I've also found that even though some robots have 2 wheels, the spin/speed is not truely independent, although a lot better than with one wheel... It can be hard to find a suitable setting to get a certain spin and a certain speed... takes a lot of experimenting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 12:03 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
A common complaint I've heard is that the slowest ball frequency is still too high... do others find that?

I don't with the 2040. Unless I am really focusing hard on my form or a particular spin or stroke I don't set it below 4. On mine at least, anything below that (unless you are working underspin) does not accurately represent a real rally against a human opponent.

Saviga V 0.6