OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Curl P-H and Yasaka 008
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 03:41 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
In my latest care package from iruiru I got sheets of TSP Curl P-H and Yasaka Phantom 008.

For P-H, the packaging says it produces "a unique knuckleball effect...effective speed for offensive shots....a short backspin push not possible with other long pip rubbers." Pips are the same size as P-1R. It has an built-in gluesheet (I have the ox version).

For 008, it comes the same topsheet as 007. Sponge is 1mm and green with the initials TF. Anyone know what that is? Anyway, this is supposed to be a chopping rubber.

Will say more after I try them. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 04:10 
Chop, Rock, & Roll

Waiting for some comments on Curl P-H compared to P1-R :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 04:20 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

NiTTaKu wrote:
Waiting for some comments on Curl P-H compared to P1-R :wink:

Never played P1-R, but I can add that the tips of the pips on the P-H are milled and the pips are extremely hard and stiff, in fact more so than any other pips I've ever felt. I can already tell I'm going to love this rubber.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 04:27 
Chop, Rock, & Roll

Hard and stiff with textured tips... that's like a Bamboo P-1 replacement on my dictionary :lol:

What about spin? spinny or slick surface? Sounds like passive shots would be effective with this one (they were on Bamboo P1).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 04:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Just dragging a ball across it, the pips seem pretty grippy. My guess is the grip stops the spin dead and therefore creates the knuckleball effect. When pushing, the grip probably brushes the pips and creates backspin.

It's not as grippy as the new Phantom I got on the ball drag test, but the milled tips will likely retain the grip. After a while the Phantom plays almost like frictionless with lots of spin reversal.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 10:19 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Had a quick hit with the P-H. This thing is a weapon. A real hitter's rubber. Deadly attacks against underspin. Decent spin-reversal on blocks. Returns a speedy knuckle ball with a normal stroke against topspin. Tried it on a Joola MC1, a supposedly sealed Nittaku Accoustic (where the glue sheet pulled out a lot of splinters arrrgh) and D. N FW+. Seems best on balsa blade although maybe one with less catapult. At the moment my game is chop block with the backhand and loop with Tenergy forehand. P-H is good enough to make me consider chop blocking with inverted on the forehand and attacking with the backhand. All you Peacekeeper users might want to take a look at this.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 11:24 

MNNB

Thanks for the info. Can you compare the P-H with P1R or other LPs on speed, reversal etc.

BTW is your P-H an Ox?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 11:55 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

kineticexplorer wrote:
MNNB

Thanks for the info. Can you compare the P-H with P1R or other LPs on speed, reversal etc.

BTW is your P-H an Ox?

Thanks.

Yes this is ox. I've never tried P1R because I've always heard it was a great chopping rubber but not so good at the table. I would say this rubber is the opposite. It's great for attacking at the table with a knuckleball effect and I doubt very effective from long range. Reversal is good but not great. I can see this rubber being most effective by applying heavy pressure on opponents forcing a mistake. I'm really starting to like this thing.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 17:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
If the pips are hard and stiff, it certainly sounds very different to the P-1r. I would also guess it's meant to replace the bamboo, although no doubt with less spin reversal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 03:12 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Had a quick hit with the P-H. This thing is a weapon. A real hitter's rubber. Deadly attacks against underspin. Decent spin-reversal on blocks. Returns a speedy knuckle ball with a normal stroke against topspin. Tried it on a Joola MC1, a supposedly sealed Nittaku Accoustic (where the glue sheet pulled out a lot of splinters arrrgh) and D. N FW+. Seems best on balsa blade although maybe one with less catapult. At the moment my game is chop block with the backhand and loop with Tenergy forehand. P-H is good enough to make me consider chop blocking with inverted on the forehand and attacking with the backhand. All you Peacekeeper users might want to take a look at this.

Is it slow enough to chop block effectively at the table against strong loops to your BH. Have you played with Neptune previously to offer a comparison. I'm playing same style as you, looping with Tenergy on FH and chop blocking on BH with Neptune. I do need to drop back 5-6 feet and chop against strong loops to my BH. I'm looking for something that can attack better than Neptune, yet still provide same spin reversal, chop blocking, and chopping capabilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 05:26 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

NoFootwork wrote:
Is it slow enough to chop block effectively at the table against strong loops to your BH. Have you played with Neptune previously to offer a comparison. I'm playing same style as you, looping with Tenergy on FH and chop blocking on BH with Neptune. I do need to drop back 5-6 feet and chop against strong loops to my BH. I'm looking for something that can attack better than Neptune, yet still provide same spin reversal, chop blocking, and chopping capabilities.

Not good for chop blocking. P-H is designed to send back no spin balls at speed. Although it's a long pip, you play it like a medium or short pip. It felt good on the Aurora blade. I twiddled it a lot and it is very dangerous on both wings. The problem for me and possibly for you (based on your screen name) is that a fast-paced game at the table requires good footwork -- not my strong suite. I try to keep the game slow until I can get a juicy push to attack.

I tried Neptune in ox, .6 and 1mm, and found it did a lot of things well, but nothing great. To me, by far the best for chop blocking is Phantom 007 black.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 08:33 
Super User

NoFootwork wrote:

Quote:

Nittaku Screw One (OX) is the one which provides spin reversal, chop blocking, chopping capabilities, topspin, backspin, slicing shots and flat hits. It is more or less as slow as Phantom 007.

Anothe rubber which is worth trying is Miracle Magic Monkey 0.8 mm. This rubber is best for topspin, backspin and hitting. This rubbers seems to have a special sponge whic gives a feeling of good control and enough speed to give trouble to the opponent. This rubber has a sponge which seems to be better than most of the long pimples I have tried so far. It performs well on one of the fastest blade Sardius manufactured by Butterfly. This means that hard wood will suit to this rubber.

Both rubbers allow one to play close to the table. I mean one can stay close to the table most of the time within a distance of 3 feet. I think this is an ideal distance to play an attacking game with long pimples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 09:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Hey GR, have you ever tried Armstrong Twister? I keep hearing that's good also.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 14:03 
Super User

Hi MNNB, I haven't experienced the enjoyment of playing with Armstrong Twister yet. Maybe I will try next year.

I am in the search of a rubber which approximates in its characteristics to SB of Dr N. I think Nittaku Screw One (OX) is the closest to SB and also Phantom 007 has speed closer to it.

The choice of rubbers to be used has been narrowed down in the order of:
. Nittaku Screw One (OX). The base of the rubber has a thick base with glue. It is easy to try it on different blades.
. Phantom 007
. Palio CK531A (OX)
. Neptune (OX)
. 837 (OX)
. Boomerang Classic
. Phoenix 1mm
. Insider

Miracle Magic Monkey (0.8 mm) is a good rubber to chop and topspin the ball. That means one can attack more with this rubber. Although it is getting harder to play an attacking game due to the lack of physical strength, cardiovascular fitness, stamina, agility and footwork as we get older. At a young age one doesn't realise that fitness plays an important part to play table tennis at a higher level. So, I will stick to Nittaku Screw One for some time as most of the shots can be played similar to Super Block of Dr N.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 14:32 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Hi GR,

I'll give the Screw One and Armstrong Twister a try, but I'm 95% set on the Phantom007. I just want to use it some more against good loopers and other styles before making a final decision. It's not the most versatile rubber, but it's the best I've tried for chop blocking and it is great for attacking, too.

I also really like the Phantom008 which is tremendous for chopping. If I absolutely can't play at the level I want at the table, I'll drop back two meters and use either Phantom008 or Phoenix 2.0 to chop. Phantom has more spin control and feel, while Phoenix is slow enough for me to use it on a Firewall Plus for more offense.

| My OOAK Interview